The Philipsburg Jubilee Library (PJL) was established in 1923, and is the only public library serving the Dutch side of Sint Maarten as the executive entity of the Philipsburg Jubilee Library Foundation. The Foundation is a private, fully government-subsidized organization, and currently at a crucial point in its existence.
PJL is preparing an urgent temporary relocation as a result of hurricane Irma. During the temporary relocation, a new national knowledge and heritage center facility will be constructed which will accommodate the PJL and its partners the Sint Maarten National Heritage Foundation and Sint Maarten Archeological Center Foundation. This move to a new state-of-the-art facility will be carried out in parallel with the transition towards a totally new and improved concept, purpose, and performance of the PJL.
In order to guide and manage these developments and lead PJL into the future, the Philipsburg Jubilee Library Foundation is inviting qualified candidates to apply for the position of director of the PJL.
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Directs and supervises the operation of the library, providing a variety of library services to the public.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs all library functions, including reference, collection management, technical services, information technology, special collections, circulation services and programs for all age groups, from preschoolers to senior citizens.
- Is responsible for the development and administration of the annual budget, approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Prepares project proposals for external funding agencies and private sponsors, oversees the implementation of externally funded projects and is responsible for the social and financial reports of these projects.
- Directs and reviews the preparation of staff reports, studies, and analysis.
- Selects, develops, trains and supervises the staff members and or directs the selection, placement, development, training and supervision of these staff members.
- Implements the human resource cycle including the review and evaluation of employees' job performance and recommends appropriate personnel action. Establishes performance requirements and personal development goals.
- Ensures the efficient and courteous provision of library service to the public.
- Evaluates the existing collection, development and circulation policies, and implements the necessary changes and improvements.
- Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the operation of the library and evaluates the effectiveness of library services.
- Represents the PJL and maintains effective relationships with a variety of community organizations, groups, and individuals to promote positive public relations.
- Works closely with the Departments of Education and Culture of the Government of Sint Maarten and professional organizations to formulate policy, develop programs and implement projects to meet community needs.
- Makes presentations to public agencies, civic groups, library support groups and other organizations.
- Plans and directs library building programs and consults with appropriate bodies on library contracts.
- Supervises library capital investment program; reviews construction plans, inspects library buildings under construction and plans and coordinates moves to new facilities.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of services and programs; maintains effective relations with community organizations, groups, and other individuals to promote positive public relations and outreach.
- Monitors technological developments related to the improvement of the library, services, evaluates their impact, and recommends improvements. Maintains current knowledge of new trends and innovations in the field of library science and information technology.
- Ensures PJL services are provided with exceptional customer service and the highest level of ethical standards.
- Is responsible for ensuring the duties of this position are performed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Represents the PJL in regional and international library associations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as the situation requires.
- Budgetary processes and procedures.
- The social /political/ governance structure of St. Maarten.
- Current principles and practices of public librarianship.
- Library services related software and hardware.
- Principles and techniques of organizational leadership.
- Principles of change management.
- Public library objectives, organization, trends, program planning, systems development, and service delivery.
- National Library policies.
- Theory, principles, and practices of modern library management including collections development and management.
- Arts and culture and an appreciation for its integration in the community.
- Sound managerial and supervisory principles.
- Administer and monitor a sizable budget and anticipate budgetary needs, programs, and services.
Communicate effectively in English and Dutch, both orally and in writing.
- Effectively collaborate with employees, board members, stakeholders, partners and the public.
- Develop, implement, and interpret goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards.
- Effectively supervise team members.
- Establish and maintain smooth and effective working relationships.
- Exercise sound, independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Foster a teamwork environment.
- Identify and respond to sensitive community and organizational issues, concerns, and needs.
- Lead, coach, instruct and motivate employees.
- Organize, assign and schedule workload among employees.
- Perform difficult and complex analysis and research, identify alternative solutions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Plan, organize, administer, review and evaluate the work of professional and technical library staff conducive to full performance and high morale.
- Provide clear work instructions.
- Provide excellent customer services to those using the library services.
- Read, write and comprehend directions in English and Dutch.
- Represent the PJL effectively in meetings with citizens, public and private organizations, and government representatives on a national, regional and international level.
- Select, train, and motivate staff.
- To speak in public .
- Understand and serve diverse groups of people.
- Work on multiple, concurrent projects with strict deadlines and with frequent interruptions.
- Model and practice the highest standards of ethical conduct.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Work necessary hours and times to accomplish goals, objectives and required tasks.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining a safe working environment.
- Initiate, recommend, and carry out personnel actions.
- Maintain a personal commitment to good public service.
- Commit to the principles of intellectual freedom and equal access.
- Fully embrace the value and merits of a well-qualified, diverse workforce that is generally reflective of the surrounding labor market.
Eight years of experience in a professional administrative and commercial working environment, including 5 years of experience in both a supervisory and administrative capacity.
- Master's level professional skills, combining education and working experience, in Library Science, Information Science or related areas.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Proven change management skills and experience.
- Commercial and financial experience and knowledge.
- Ability to implement the use of more information technology in the context of a modern, digital library.
An equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training may substitute for the listed minimum requirements.
Salary and benefits
This position is subject to the governmental salary scales (scale 13) with a minimum of ANG 8,070.00 and a maximum of ANG 11,128.00, depending on education and experience. Healthcare insurance and pension plan participation are among the benefits.
The director reports to the (managing) board of the PJL foundation. After amendments of the articles of incorporation, the board will become a supervisory board and the director will become a member of the board of directors. The authorities and responsibilities of both bodies will comply with the corporate governance code.
Please send written applications before November 23rd 2018
Interested persons are asked to send their resume and their motivation to the Board via the following e-mail adress firstname.lastname@example.org